Patti Russo, M.S., CPT Certified Poetry Therapist
Partners in Rhyme
For the past twelve years, Patti has facilitated Partners
in Rhyme, an intergenerational poetry program she
created, at preschools and high schools in the greater
Boston area. Partners in Rhyme brings older adults and
young students together to read, discuss and write poetry.
Intergenerational programs like Partners in Rhyme are beneficial because they:
- Reduce age segregation by bringing different age groups together
- Help shed stereotypes and misconceptions each age group may have about the other
- Allow older participants to interact with young students while acting as mentor
- Improve the social emotional learning of young adults
- Help seniors feel useful and that they are giving to the community.
Carlisle, MA was recognized as one of three 2015 Best Intergenerational Communities in the U.S. by Generations United, a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting intergenerational programs and policies nationwide. Patti and others from Carlisle traveled to Washington, D.C. and met with Senator Elizabeth Warren to receive the designation.
"The best societal learning occurs when generations come together in contexts of discovering and valuing." -- Margaret Mead
Read newspaper articles about intergenerational groups: